that kinda stuff drives me crazy! how bout you?
anyways.. yesterday i had this 1/2 a bottle of light corn syrup (that i have no idea why i have) & a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (that didn't turn into fudge for valentine's day) staring me in the face.
they were saying put us in something yummy..
ok. not really.
truth is.. the kitchen was finally clean & it just felt unnatural, so i had to dirty it up.
(actually, i was bored & unmotivated to do something crafty)
so here is what i made...
-1 1/2 cups butter, softened & divided
-2 cups all purpose flour
-3/4 cup white rice flour*
-1/2 cup sugar
-cooking spray for baking
-1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
-1/4 cup light corn syrup
-1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
-1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
*you can substitute all purpose flour for the rice flour (i did)
it's really SUPER DUPER easy..
2. add 1 cup butter, flour(s), and sugar to food processor.
3. pulse 10-15 times or until crumbly.
4. press mixture into a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. (yes. i know it's not a jelly roll pan in the picture.. i don't have one..) bake at 350 for 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
5. stir together remaining 1/2 cup of butter, condensed milk, and corn syrup in 2 quart heavy saucepan over low heat 4 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture is blended.
6. add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, 25 to 30 minutes or until caramel color and thickened. (this is apparently entirely essential. i got tired of cooking at about 18 minutes.. i thought i was pretty caramel-ish. not so. i have oozy goozy caramel layer that doesn't stay put. so it has to stay in the freezer until you eat it.. BUT the boys seem to like it..)
7. stir and stir and stir and stir. 25 minutes. keep stirring.
8. pour mixture evenly over baked cookie in pan, spread into an even layer. chill 30 minutes or until caramel is set. (or in my case it NEVER sets...)
9. (i apparently stopped taking photos here.. ) microwave chocolate chips per the instructions on your bag. stir until smooth. spread evenly over top of caramel layer. it will be a thin layer. cut into squares. makes 3 dozen.
and you have millionaire shortbread. honestly. you can stop at the shortbread layer if you so choose to.
it's that stinking good. (although i CERTAINLY wouldn't know since this hardly is on a 1400 calorie diet. sheesh. what were you thinking?!)