this is a blog about memory keeping, funny stories & baked goods i make, and do my best not to eat. proper capitalization is always optional.


dr. seuss birthday: decorations

ya, ok so the kid is almost 14 months old..
cut me some slack will ya?
there is no shortage of pictures or words in here..
so it's been a little daunting to get the posts together.

i'm going to start with the decorations..

coming in the front door.

i borrowed the idea from a few other parties to have 'happy birthday to you' by dr. seuss there for guests to leave a message to rance for his first birthday on one of the pages.

this sign is typed up in a dr. seuss font i found online..
printed off & placed in a frame.

the confetti is punched out from the scraps of book pages left over from other decorations.

i made this wreath from book pages out of a few cut up dr. seuss books.
i just cut the pages down into a square (6x6 i think)
& rolled them up into cones gluing them down as i went.
i kinda just wung it.. thankfully my booboos are covered by the front piece!
i spray painted a red wooden number one
& found some dr. seuss stickers at micheals to add to it.

for one of the table centerpieces i saved a bunch of boxes
& wrapped them up in coordinating wrapping paper
(not my favorite designs.. but it was harder than i thought to find the right color blue!)

i bought a cat in the hat plush off ebay for $6 (including shipping) & set it on top..

i put some of the stickers on cardstock to spell out the babes name..
attached them to wooden skewers
& then stuck them in the top of the boxes of the centerpiece.

for the dessert buffet i used the same method of wrapped boxes to make a cupcake/cake tower.

i cut out banner pieces from book pages & attached them to seam binding.

and put out our collection of dr. seuss books.

i sucked it up & shelled out the money to have balloons this go round :)

more banners from book pages..

i printed out some monthly photos of the babe & put numbered stickers on them...
then i made some clay 'rocks' & put wire photo holders in them..

more banners in the kitchen...

and then i made food labels for everything from cardstock..
printed labels & stickers.

hopefully you can check back tomorrow for the food!


see the invites here.
the food is here.

linking here:


  1. holy moly ravioli! i remember these from facebook but i'm still in awe of all the little details. i swear, you are super-party-woman!
    so inspired! =)
    love ya!

  2. Love this party! So many fun ideas We are just finishing a Dr. Seuss preschool unit at our house, maybe we'll celebrate with some Things cupcakes.

  3. You should be a party planner! I love all the little details here. What a great first birthday. Love the poem in the picture frame. I am a new follower from Whipperberry. Vicky from Mess For Less

  4. This is unbelievable!!! WOW - your decorations are so amazing. I've always thought Dr. Seuss would make a great theme, but wasn't sure how that would look - LOVE this! I also wanted to invite you to link up at my TGIF LInky Party - I am also your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-)

  5. Just stumbled onto your blog and it really is inspiring and impressive. I'm about to throw a party for my soon-to-be 1-year old and your ideas are helping me out! I was just wondering, how did you make that nice paper topiary/birthday sign? I LOVE it!

  6. OH! I see how you made it! Thanks for the details! :)

    1. Hello was wondering if you got the details to making this Wreath. I really want to do it for my son's 1st Saturday. Please HELP

  7. Found your blog threw pinstrest. Love your ideas!! What did you use for a stand for the book page wreath thing that went with the happy birthday book? thanks!

  8. Hi I was wondering what u used for the wreath stand?

    1. I wanna know too. First birthday party on Saturday.

  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

  10. wondering about the wreath stand also.



thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! i try to respond to everyone, especially if you have a question. please make sure your email address is in blogger, or that you leave your email address in your comment so that i can respond to you directly with any questions you have! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...